Monday, February 20, 2006

in the car

Andrew has a routine, and he really likes his routine. He would really rather no one interfere with that routine if at all possible. With snow days and President's Day, plus the weekend, today is Andrew's 5th day of no school. This does not fit well with his routine.

This morning when it was time to go to daycare (which he loves), I had to get this point across to him of where we were going. For anyone who doesn't deal with Autism on a regular basis, telling him of the change BEFORE it happens is much better than seeing his reaction afterwards.

Well I can't tell him it's time to go outside, because for some reason that means "go to the park". And I can't just say it's time to go, because that will mean go as the routine expects, and he'll start to look for the bus. So I go with the most specific thing I can explain to him that won't give the wrong impression (so I think). I tell Andrew "It's time to go in the car". Andrew's face lights up, and he says to me "Wal-Mart?"

Now I don't know when "in the car" came to mean wal-mart, but I think I am now in definite trouble for a generic explaination for going somewhere. EEK!!! :)

Needless to say, when I had to inform him of who we were going to see (the daycare provider), he got upset at me. And I guess I can see why. I mean, I HAD told him I was taking him to Wal-Mart, I just didn't know I'd told him that. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home