Friday, April 14, 2006

Golfing, Andrew Style

Oh what a happy evening we had!! For those who don't know Autism well, one of the many problmes that Andrew is likely to face is the inability to engage in pretend play. Imagining things is likely to be tremendously difficult for him, as is "play" in general. He even has a program in school about learning to play appropriately with toys and games. So last night's activity is all the more sweet because of it.

Andrew was playing in his room, as far as I knew, on the computer. It was very early evening, and unwinding was happening at our house, with me in the recliner reading a book (or trying to). One of Andrew's interruptions came with him demanding what sounded to me like "blue" though when I would try to repeat that back to him it wasn't what he wanted at all. After a few attempts I asked him to show me, and he took me to the kitched to the silverware drawer. I figured out he had been trying to say "spoon" which I realize sounds nothing like blue, unless you're Andrew. :)

So I got a spoon out for him, and followed him into his room to see what he was going to do with the spoon. This caused me a TON of amusement. Do you know those super soft pillows that come in random shapes? They're the ones that feel like they are filled with microfill (and they likely are) and are just wonderful. Well Andrew has one shaped like a soccer ball, larger than his head, and very soft. So I find him trying to use the spoon to hit the soccer ball pillow around his room. Then I look over on his computer screen and see that he has his Bob the Builder game up, and it's at the golf section of the game. So all i can figure out is that he's trying to imitate Bob's golfing with a spoon and a pillow. It was tremendously cute!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home